Monday, September 2, 2019

Labored

Inspirational song: In-A-Gadda-Da-Vida

The streak continues. I'm still going hard, trying to spread my newly-building energies in as many directions as I can reach. Among my (admittedly minor) accomplishments was creating a whole new dish that I've been dreaming about for three years now. It was almost as good as I'd wished it to be.

I slowly worked on the game table, as best I could in the unrelenting sun and heat of the day. I put two coats of spackle, sanding after each, and once the sun went behind the chokecherry tree so I didn't burn up like a vampire in daylight, I put a coat of Kilz on the half that was mostly constructed. I left the other half alone, waiting for more temperate weather to cut out the other dice trays and file smooth the openings. This process will get more intense tomorrow, but I am not going to worry about that tonight.

My foster daughter has wanted to do group crafting experiences, and I am on board for this, once I have something small I can do wherever we are. She brought her supplies over to our block, and she, T, and I spent the afternoon and evening together, being creative. After burning up most of my energy on painting the table and trying to catch up on cleaning (I failed), my contribution to "crafting" was to make the protein component to our group meal. Ever since we started selling peaches for our Rotary fundraiser, I've been trying to think of an uncommon flavor pairing to use in some peach recipe. When I bought my house, there was a giant common sage plant just outside the back door, that came back year after year. I have wanted to try something with peaches and sage since the first case of peaches came home with me. Tonight, I sauteed chicken and shallots in chopped bacon, then slowly braised that with cut up peaches, chicken stock, fresh sage, and allspice. Later, I pulled out the solids and reduced the sauce to a glaze, adding in a little sugar and an herbal liqueur that tastes a little like Jagermeister, but way better. It was fantastic. My foster daughter made creamy, cheesy mashed potatoes, and T roasted asparagus and provided a bottle of white wine. We keep talking about doing group dinners like this, and I am a hundred percent in support of this. It's kind of what I'd hoped would happen when I started cooking homemade meals for D&D nights, but this way I don't have to do all of the work and have all of the fatigue on the next day. If everyone brings a potluck dish, it's easier (and cheaper) for me. I hope we make it a weekly thing, whether that's for the Wednesday night group or on Sundays for football next door. Or both. Both is fine with me too.



No comments:

Post a Comment