Sunday, September 22, 2019

The Weekend

Inspirational song: September (Earth, Wind, and Fire)

I promised myself a day of rest, and for the most part, I got it. I watched a little football, I popped in next door to see kitchen remodel progress, I ate leftovers, and napped. It was what I needed. Other than a Costco run, I got practically no exercise. The walk around the store, pushing a super heavy cart counts, but not for much. I could pretend that I had deep thoughts, and write about some obscure memory, but I didn’t and I won’t.

I closed the day by listening to my football game on the radio (on the internet). Apparently PAC 12 network is getting harder for me to access. After nearly ten years, they still refuse to make a deal with DirecTV to carry the channel, no matter how many times people like me hint to customer service that we want it. I was offered a chance to watch it next door while T was out on a date, but when he tried to show me how to find it, it was no longer offered on Sling. Is it going to be like Netflix and Hulu, where you can only have it as a stand-alone for-pay streaming service? Because if it is, screw those guys. I like the radio announcer, and I can picture it in my mind well enough from his descriptions (although I do sometimes close my eyes when I really concentrate on the plays). Tonight’s game was as stressful as I could handle, with the teams running neck and neck in a high scoring game. CU pulled out a victory, but it aged me five years in three hours. No wonder the hair that is growing back after chemo is mostly white. I suppose what I listened to was better than the craziness in Pullman, Washington, though. I couldn’t see that game either (because of the same PAC 12 nonsense), but reading a continuously updated Twitter feed was nuts. As so many comments stated, imagine throwing nine touchdowns in a single game, and still losing. The final score was UCLA 67, Washington State 63. A basketball score. I wish I had watched it, in a crowd.

I’m going to give myself a few more days of absolute slack, and then I plan to work into more movement and more purpose in life. I lost more than a year and a half to illness, and it’s time to embrace wellness. I’ll be curious to see which recovers faster, my body or my mind. My money is on the body.



No comments:

Post a Comment