Monday, September 30, 2019

Creepy Crawly

Inspirational song: Time Out of Mind (Steely Dan)

Throughout my recent illness, I’ve had the chance (misfortune?) to watch a lot of television. There was a horrible ad that was in circulation often early on that made my skin crawl every time it aired, even when I managed to look away and mute it in time. Recently they started putting it on again. I’m not really sure what drug it was, and I think it was for a condition called atopic dermatitis. I don’t remember the common name, and I don’t care. I’m getting fidgety and freaked out just remembering the ad, and I want this post to be over quickly. The ad shows a woman having symptoms that make her itch, so they used CGI to show ants crawling on her skin or bristly hairs growing on her clothes. Ugh. I can’t sit still as I type. This ad ranks right up there with the worst ever, like the beer and soda ads on radio that are mostly loud drinking noises. I wish things like this were illegal.

This morning I started having an itchy reaction to something, mostly on my upper body. I thought maybe my robe was just due for a wash, so I threw it in the hamper and showered. Then the long sleeve T-shirt I pulled from the closet, one I hadn’t worn in months, did the same thing. I kept scratching my shoulders, and at one point came back with a long blondish hair, probably stuck on something in the closet from before I went bald over the summer. As much as I react to my own hair (yes, it makes me itch like crazy) I don’t believe that was the whole problem. I started getting bumpy skin all across my arms and torso. Eventually I dug out a diphenhydramine and gave myself a quality nap. It calmed a lot of the reaction, but I worry now that sleep will be hard to come by tonight.

Except here’s the problem: between the antihistamine wearing off and me writing about crap that makes me itch all over, it all has come back, with a vengeance. I don’t know what I’m allergic to, and I need this to stop. Another pill might be my only hope. Still leaves the mystery of what got me, though.

No comments:

Post a Comment