Thursday, September 12, 2019

Radiant

Inspirational song: Words (Missing Persons)

The determination is in, and I got the good news this afternoon. My radiation starts on Monday, and it will be the twice daily, focused beam they assured me I’d most likely be able to get. It’s the smallest dose I can get, and it’s much safer, especially since it’s the left side of my chest. The other, less-desirable option would be to irradiate the whole breast, which puts more radiation close to my heart. I’ll take a moment to be thankful that I qualify for the better course of action.

I go back in tomorrow to set up my exact setup, and get yet more topless photos taken. I totally do not want to see them, no matter what. But the primary radiation oncologist, who I didn’t see on my initial visit, needs to see my position before we kick off on Monday. Yay for her, I guess.

I shared my good news with my other oncologist this afternoon, when I went in for my first post chemo checkup. She will let me wait until after radiation to start the long term oral meds, which is fine by me. Before I see her again I get my first bone density scan, as a baseline. I also get to check back with one of my regular docs, on her advice, but I’ll discuss that once I learn a little more about the topic we discussed.

I told Mr S-P this morning that I think our coffee is broken. I had a whole cup of it, and still fell asleep in my chair for an hour. After the trip to the cancer center, where they drew blood (which always affects me), I had another long nap, and have been groggy ever since. Maybe I’ll just blame how hard I worked before today to get stuff done around here on a deadline. Sounds like as good an excuse as any for being too tired to take a picture for tonight. Before you ask, no, tomorrow’s picture will not be from my radiation test run. Nope.

No comments:

Post a Comment