Saturday, September 14, 2019

Park Ranger

Inspirational song: That Smell (Lynyrd Skynyrd)

After the maid service last week, my house was so wonderful to be in...as long as I didn't get too close to the pantry or breathe when I opened the refrigerator. I could tell that there was a rotten potato somewhere in the tangle of food spilling out of the pantry, and I knew for certain that some chicken broth we had made in the Instant Pot from the remainders of rotisserie chickens had turned. These icky things weren't there all that long, but long enough for me to feel guilt over them. I had the whole day to myself, so there was no excuse anymore not to handle it. That pantry had been a wreck for months, but there were other pressing issues keeping me from sorting it. I ended up being very glad for something to focus on while I listened to the game on KOA, as it went from bad to worse for my team. I ditched things that had been open for far too long, like the sugary cereal we bought for the foreign exchange student last year, that was still tucked in there. I resolved to come up with a complete dinner for the Wednesday night group from what I already owned, so they can expect to have edamame spaghetti and pineapple upside down cake this week. (I'll task someone with getting some frozen gluten free garlic bread, to round it out.) The gang also won't have to encounter the stinky chicken broth from the fridge, for which they ought to be grateful. I held my breath as it went down the disposal, for as long as I could. That wasn't long enough. After I got my gag reflex back under control (you don't want to know how long that took), I found the strongest Febreeze I had available (Gain scent), and did two rounds of the house with it. Blech. If I hadn't done a single other thing all day, getting that task accomplished would have counted for saving all of humanity, and I could have rested.

The guys spent the night up on the mountain last night, and all of today putting the steel siding on the east side of the cabin. I took care of Barley and Hops next door, while Murray and Elsa went up for an overnight with their daddy. T had a new bag of special chew sticks, to entice Hops into his kennel for the night. I don't know what problem T has with putting Hops to bed. I went over there just before 10 o'clock, and he trotted down the hallway and stood outside his kennel, waiting for me to open it. I think he knows his auntie will always give him a treat no matter what, and he was so tired by then anyway, he was ready for bed. I went ahead and gave both good boys the treats, because that's the kind of neighbor I am. When I went back early this morning, there were no complaints from either dog. Not even a single bark when I came in the house. (Of course, as soon as I open the door, I always announce myself, so they recognize my voice.)

It was quiet and a little boring to be the only human between the two houses all day, but it was peaceful. The neighbor dogs, my cats, and even the fishes and squirrels were well-behaved for me. I'll go a little stir crazy if I get too many days like this in a row, but this one was pleasant and welcome.



No comments:

Post a Comment