Friday, November 8, 2019

Fair Weather Friend

Inspirational song: I’m Going Home (Rocky Horror Picture Show)

They announced the date for homecoming weekend months ago, and I thought, “Second weekend in November? What were they thinking? It will be freezing! And probably snowing!” Well, I was wrong. Looks like it will be extraordinarily good weather—sunny, clear, and warm. It will also be two alumni short. Neither I nor my daughter are attending this year.

Starting with my fortieth birthday, I have gotten as a gift or given myself tickets to at least one CU football game every single year. It was a tradition I cherished even during all those years that the team has struggled. This year isn’t an exception on that score (pun intended). The team started out strong, but once they stumbled, they never fully regained their footing. That’s not the reason I’m skipping a live football game this year. It’s not directly a result of my health, either. I’m probably strong enough to go to a game, leaving aside the extra effort involved in trying to play piccolo in the stands, marching in the parade, or that one year I made it to march on the field. Sitting in the sun for hours is a whole other issue, though. I think all of my prescriptions are having a cumulative effect on photosensitivity. Once the sun comes out, I can barely stand by a window.

So when the homecoming game is on, I’ll be in my shady house, listening to the Voice of the Buffs on the radio. (DirecTV still doesn’t carry PAC-12 network. After all these years, I doubt they ever will.) I’ll carry on in my grandmother’s footsteps, and when the stress of my team’s poor performance gets to me, I’ll clean my kitchen while the radio plays in the other room. If I’m lucky, I’ll be able to hear the band in the background, as I usually can. It would have been cool to be a part of it, but this is not my year.


No comments:

Post a Comment