Sunday, November 24, 2019

Holiday Crush

Inspirational song: Shout (Wash Park)

Through most of the time that the tickets were on sale, I didn’t expect that we were going to go to the annual rotary holiday ball. We still didn’t have a renter (or even an idea when our condo would be fixed up to rent) when they went up, and although we said we’d get tix once that was done, we just didn’t do it. We kept having surprise bills come in (hello, Murray), and my energy levels fluctuated wildly. This last week, a very kind friend came up to me at the meeting, and said she had two extra tickets from the whole table the hospital foundation bought, and I should seriously say yes already and take them. I agreed. I more informed the Mr we were going than asked, but he didn’t fight me too hard on it. I promised him we didn’t have to dress too fancy, and that sealed the deal.

The same eleven-member cover band as last year performed. I enjoyed them every bit as much this year as before. My ears are still ringing (more than usual). I didn’t get all the way onto the dance floor, just to avoid a sudden change in position if my balance or energy were to cut out on me in the heat of the crush. I did, however, stand next to our little table, grooving away through both sets. I can pretend I danced, even if my feet barely left the floor, and I rested my hand on the back of a barstool for most of it. Don’t try to tell me otherwise. This was dancing.

We may have gone casual this year, but looking around the room at how a bunch of the ladies were dressed, I’m going to make myself a promise for the future. Next time, I’m going to wear sequins and/or beads. The lighting was just right, and I wanted to be sparkly just like those other women. Next time.


No comments:

Post a Comment