Monday, November 25, 2019

Monkey's Paw

Inspirational song: Snow (Rosemary Clooney)

Be careful what you wish for. Yeah, yeah. I've claimed to have learned this lesson several times over. I never really have. How many times since we moved back to Colorado have I whined out loud about wanting a huge snowstorm? There is one outside my window right now. It's beautiful and cold and dangerous, and I love it. But it's also making me just a wee bit miffed. (No, for real, I'm actually annoyed.) Number one child is supposed to be on a flight right now. She should have been airborne, on her way here. She bought a ticket on the red-eye, and would have landed four hours from now. The plan was to take a bus to Boulder, so that everyone involved (her and us) could sleep a little longer, and then her dad was going to pick her up and take her to a gluten-containing breakfast while I slept in a little more.

As the time for the storm approached, there were wild guesses of how severe it was going to be. I had a hard time believing that we here in the shadow of Long's Peak would get all that much accumulation. We usually get the least amount of snow in the whole region. But this storm kind of blew in from the southwest, avoiding that particular mountain, and allowing us to join in the fun. In fact, at the 5 o'clock local news forecast, they thought we would get something like a foot and a half up here. By the 10 o'clock, that had come down some, and the last time I looked it was down even more. But it is still snowing to beat the band out there.

Kid managed to get rescheduled on a later flight. She'll be here about half a day later, but still here. I can't be too mad. We were going to go to Rotary together, but even that was canceled for the storm. The time crunch doesn't exist anymore. She ought to be here for the holiday, and that's the point.

I went outside around 11 this evening, to get some baseline photos of snow depth. I'll have something to compare to tomorrow morning, to see whether it really comes down as predicted. I think they said the heaviest will be from around 3 to 5 am. If I have to pay with a half day less with my family, then I'd like it to be that heavy snow I always ask for.





No comments:

Post a Comment