Monday, January 6, 2020

Mag-Neato

Inspirational song: 30 Days in the Hole (Humble Pie)

Thank goodness I'm not claustrophobic. I seem to find myself inside of an above-average number of big imaging machines. Have I just perfected the right way to ask the question of why does (this or that thing) hurt? Apparently. But then, all those CT scans and X-rays and MRIs usually do turn up stuff. At least I know I'm not a hypochondriac or a liar. Not so sure I can disavow being a wimp or whiner all the time, though.

I didn't really push hard to get today's test. I even brought in a disc from the MRI they did of my hip when I threw out my back so hard they kept me in the hospital for days. But that was four years ago, and the doc waved it off (barely even read the report), and said it was too old. I was there to complain about my mid-back, and by the end of the conversation, she was putting in an order for the whole damn spine. Sure, whatever. Just make sure insurance says yes first.

They blocked off three full hours for my appointment. Holy cow. I did not want to spend that long in the machine! Thankfully it wasn't that long. It was still a solid hour and a half, which was quite enough. I had to go headfirst for the top two sections (cervical, thoracic, lumbar are each considered separate tests). They had me wedged into a head brace so I couldn't move, and wearing foam earplugs that made it hard to hear the Pandora station they plugged in for me. (I chose Marillion, duh.) After most of an hour, I got to hop up and get blood flowing again. Then I had to climb back aboard, and go in feet first. I had better headphones for round two, but man, those machines are loud no matter what they do to make it better.

No idea how long it will take to get results. Will they upload it to the portal or do I have to wait until the orthopedist sees them and calls me back in? I hope I have a plan of action soon. It kind of sucks getting a backache every time I try to stand more than a minute in my kitchen.

No comments:

Post a Comment