Wednesday, January 1, 2020

Release of Information

Inspirational song: Your Mother Should Know (The Beatles)

It is a truth universally acknowledged that I suck at keeping secrets. I mean, really, have I not spent almost seven years spilling every nugget of data contained in my head, each night in three short paragraphs? I’ve ruined so many other people’s privacy over my lifetime that I’ve had to warn everyone if information is really sensitive, I would prefer never to be told until I absolutely must. To protect myself and others, I have gotten better about just forgetting things exist rather than remembering and trying not to say anything.

Thus it is a true miracle that I managed to keep my digital mouth shut for two and a half long months with the biggest secret of my adult life. But it wasn’t my news to share, so I had no choice. I had to wait until I was given clearance. Even now, I have to proceed with caution—and so must you. I have been requested not to plaster specific keywords all over Facebook. I am not allowed to tag anyone, and I don’t want to be tagged ever. I have been ordered to be vague with my titles and use euphemisms. Pictures will be right out. Please be equally cautious with comments!

What is this state secret? My family is getting bigger! Next spring, there will be a brand-spanking new Smith at Smith Park! My daughter is halfway through growing one of her own. I found out in October, and it was the best birthday present I could have wished for. Mr S-P and I attended an ultrasound last Friday, and it was wonderful. We are all agreed that we would prefer not to find out in advance what sort of plumbing the littlest Smith will have. That’s not the important part and the surprise will be nice. We will learn who they are when the time is right. All we care about is that they exist and we get to be a part of their life.

I don’t have permission to share the ultrasound images, so I’ll have to come up with something completely unrelated. We did a little crafting while we played our regular game. We painted coffee mugs with a type of enamel made for this. We will bake the designs on later. There was a team effort on one of the palette plates. Shapes sort of organically appeared in the paint as it was used, so my foster daughter took a little black and outlined the image she saw in the swirls. I hate knowing I have to wash the paint off, but it’s on one of my bread plates. Even if it is the chipped one, we still use it.


No comments:

Post a Comment