Wednesday, July 3, 2013

Centering

Inspirational song: Middle of the Road (The Pretenders)

I am constantly in search of the happy medium. I don't know what drives me to do it, but it borders on obsession. I can't say I grew up with the story of Goldilocks and the Three Bears as my favorite tale. But I have an amazing aversion to extremes. This constant heavy rain has been as difficult for me to handle as was arid New Mexico, the blisteringly hot Mojave desert, and bitterly cold North Dakota. Although I do expect that I will have less lingering animosity to it. I don't want to give up rain forever. I would just like to dry out a little in between downpours.

I've been in a feast or famine cycle with exercise lately as well. I started with a bang this spring, gardening like a fiend. Then it got humid and I started hiding inside. I joined the Y, and went as often as I could for the first couple weeks. Then strong storms kept canceling water aerobics, so I missed for an entire week. Today I finally got to play again, and I went for about two hours without coming up for air. I risk injuring myself by overdoing it, because I have such guilt over losing a whole week. I was so tired when I left, I could barely drive home, and I've been lying down, waiting for Advil to kick in for hours since. I feel out of control, careening back and forth between the extremes, and I genuinely doubt I will make any progress if I carry on this way. I have to get centered and pace myself.

Last night, my scientist daughter sent me a great article about the obesity epidemic, that pointed out something I had not been conscious of myself, but now I can totally see. The author presented evidence that it is not only humans who are getting bigger, but domesticated dogs and cats (the part I had noticed), and wild animals. Wild animals are getting fat too! My gut reaction was immediately to blame our food supply, specifically GMOs. But this researcher also pointed to some things I never would have imagined, specifically electric lights and temperature controls. So now I have to stop and think, is my search for the happy middle actually causing me problems? Do I need to get my bad self out there and mow the Park in the heat and humidity after all? Do I need to rethink when my man hints that he would take an assignment in Alaska? (Don't get your hopes up, Mr Man. That one's still a stretch.) I have a lot to consider.

The article was a little long, but very interesting to me. It especially felt good to have another argument against the smug jerks who try to insist it all comes down to calories in v calories out. No, do not assume any of us is weak-willed without evidence. The converse is often true. The article: 

http://www.aeonmagazine.com/being-human/david-berreby-obesity-era/

And finally, today's photos.

No comments:

Post a Comment