Tuesday, July 9, 2013

Stop and Go

Inspirational song: Stop in the Name of Love (The Supremes)

Living so close to a top tourist destination definitely has its risks and rewards. Today was one of those big rewards, when I got together with several of the women from the group I belong to (whose board I stepped down from in June). The group has both a charitable and social function, and today was all about being social, and discovering yet another nationally recognized restaurant. This time we found a barbecue place with dry-rub ribs that put it on the map. They seriously were that good. And the company was on par with the amazing food, I am happy to say. I've had a month to get my head together, and I am able to leave my emotional baggage at home when I get together with the group. After lunch, I dropped by the consignment shop that our group runs, and the manager said she could see in my face how much stress has fallen away. What a good thing to hear!

The risk associated with living in a coastal paradise comes this weekend, or as late as Monday, in the form of Tropical Storm (when last I checked) Chantal. Several of the models have it coming very near here. But anything can happen in five days, including it weakening to nothing more than a tropical depression. I will keep an eye on the weather channel. 

Kitten training is not going well. For a couple weeks she was playfully bitey. Today she crossed a line into legitimate aggression. Now I have to find ways to communicate to her that this is unacceptable, in ways that a kitten can understand. I have to be very firm when I tell her to stop, yet not do anything that would harm her physically, nor break the trust we have built thus far. I also have to consider that she might have reacted to the catnip I brought inside for the big cats. I might have to stop doing that, if it makes her attack me like she did.

I added another night of water aerobics tonight, and met a new instructor. She was very good, but her class was crazy amounts of work. The cardio was non-stop for almost 45 minutes, before the weights came out. At one point, we were doing kicks, and throwing one hand out in front of us, palm out, left, right, left, right. The little CD player was cranking out Stop in the Name of Love, and it was echoing around the concrete walls. I was trying so hard to put a little Diana Ross sass in that movement, but it was at least half an hour into the cardio, and I suspect I wasn't as graceful as I imagined I was being. But I had so much fun, and I didn't want it to end. Once again, I marvel at how different I am from when I got out of the hospital six months ago.

Now that it is July, and the weather has warmed up over 90 degrees a few times, the crape myrtles are heavy with blossoms. It's one of the few things that I really like about hot weather. There was a beautiful lilac-colored one across the street from the Y, and all three of the big pink ones in my front yard are looking wonderful. The plumbago is starting to look strong too, and the black and white kitties were very upset that I didn't invite them out to help water the container plants on the porch. They don't appreciate that daily trips outside have stopped while the mosquitoes are in control of the Park. 

No comments:

Post a Comment