Wednesday, July 24, 2013

Good Sense

Inspirational song: Senses Working Overtime (XTC)

There are days I wish I had more ways to express what goes on here than just words and pictures. The other senses get a workout here too, and it is so much fun for me to just let them dominate the conversation once in a while. Today was all about sound and taste. 

I have admitted to a growing addiction to Pinterest. It snuck up on me, out of the blue. I registered for it months and months ago, but at first rarely looked at it except for once or twice when I needed a recipe.  Now I spend upwards of six or seven hours a week scrolling through it. Today was one of the first times I seriously considered making a pin of my own, based on the deliciousness of my kitchen adventure. I think I will work on my technique a bit, and break out my grandmother's china when I'm finally ready for serious photographs on a pin. If you're wondering, I modified the breakfast item I always get at my favorite restaurant back in Boulder. At Lucile's, they call it Eggs Jennifer. I may change the name, since I changed a few other key details. Here's what I did: I made a real hollandaise sauce, for only the second time in my life. I cut a few narrow slices off a baguette, and warmed them in the oven, with sliced tomato and fresh spinach. Rather than try and fail to poach eggs, I took pity on myself and cooked them over easy in butter. I layered the toasts with sliced avocado and the eggs, and covered it in hollandaise (that I loosened with a little extra lemon juice, as it had gotten a little stiff while I made the rest.) It was incredible. Really. As good as the restaurant that inspired it, and I didn't have to find room in my stomach for the eggs AND grits or potatoes AND begniets with jam AND tea with milk. It was enough food to hold me for nearly the entire day, and I didn't even contemplate eating again until after water aerobics, at 8 o'clock. The only photo I took was as I sat on the couch (I am a single woman for the time being, after all--so yes, I eat on the couch), and the old man cat started sniffing around, imagining that I would allow a cat to eat something with avocado (NO!).

Because I was so sated throughout the day, I also put off feeding the animals until I was home from swimming. This was not well-received by the professional eater dog. She can tell time, and she knows the difference between six o'clock and eight o'clock is Hungry! Hungry now! I have been wronged! When she first joined the family, five years ago, she used to make the most hilarious noises. She carried around her chew toys, and sang from deep in her throat, the call of the Wookiee. As she matured, she stopped doing it so much, but when she gets really worked up, like tonight, the Wookiee noises come back. It is so much fun teasing her, and watching her prance like a pony and sing for her dinner. I don't make her do it long or often, but tonight she walked with me while I carried out the trash, singing the song of her people. I wish I had recorded it, and had more computer literacy to be able to share it with my audience.

I struggled with topics for much of the day, trying to figure out what was interesting enough to write about. Then, this evening, our water aerobics instructor breezed in, full of energy, and proceeded to talk all about her day--about the horror movie she watched while doing laundry, and I realized I shouldn't tie myself in knots about my subject. There is a real human compulsion to share our experiences, and that is the true core of why I started writing. I wasn't looking to be exceptionally profound. I certainly didn't want to lecture on politics or religion. I just wanted to share the things that bring me joy, or make me laugh, or frustrate me enough to look for other humans who can commiserate. I am going to continue down this path, and if I'm lucky, you'll keep tuning in to read about it.


No comments:

Post a Comment