Monday, July 8, 2013

Self Awareness

Inspirational song: Free Fallin' (Tom Petty)

Today was a good day to be a grown up, and do the things I am supposed to be doing. It was easier to get up and get moving after sleeping like the dead for almost 10 hours thanks to last night's migraine meds, but I would like to think I'm developing a little additional intestinal fortitude too. I recently replaced our broken string trimmer, and this morning I decoded the vague illustrations and assembled it, and took it outside for a test drive. Or test edge. Whatever. I admit to a lack of finesse at this activity, but much like mowing, I expect it will improve with practice. I also made more progress on slashing through the sky-high grass out back, but when I started losing coordination, I had just enough self-awareness to recognize the signs of heat stress and stopped for the day. I was just sure I was going to take the evening off, and be useless. But I found determination I couldn't access a few months ago, and made it to water aerobics. As I left, I was fatigued, but so very pleased with myself. I am so much stronger, at all levels, than I was six months ago.

The kitten is six weeks old now, and at the stage when she's big enough to start learning manners. She seems to be catching on quickly, but is easily distracted from her training not to face-plant in my dinner plate by the temptation of fried chicken. It's quite funny, actually, watching her lose her tiny mind over it. She needs to learn patience from the zen-master, the little red-headed dog. He asked for permission to finish what was left of my dinner four or five times tonight, before he actually allowed himself to advance. I often wondered if that was part of his reluctance to eat all along, that he was just testing himself to see how long he could hold out.

The entire pride has fully integrated Athena now. They still put a paw on her head when she's being obnoxious, but there is no swatting or hissing anymore. I decided today, if I hadn't already accepted my crazy cat lady self a couple weeks ago, I would have still had to face it by now. The angry Ewok and I have bonded. I was lost as soon as they brought her out to me at the shelter.

No comments:

Post a Comment