Saturday, July 20, 2013

The Streak

Inspirational song: William Tell Overture (Gioachino Rossini)

The streak is broken. For the first time in months, maybe since February, I went to a movie and it did not dump buckets of rain on my car in the parking lot while I was there. I really didn't expect it to end today. There was a better than 50% chance of rain, according to the tv news. Maybe my luck is changing.

Today did feel like I was breaking out of a little rut. I finally got my act in gear early this morning, and managed to mow all of the grass to the same height, including the foot deep patches that had been taunting me for over a week now. What a relief to have it all under control, including the intermittently unmowable swamp. I lost a lot of plants between the torrential rains, and the subsequent heat and mosquitoes that kept me inside, shirking my duties since the rains eased off. There are a few signs of hope in the back, but the trend is toward plant death. I know Dead Flowers is my favorite Rolling Stones song, but it is not my favorite look for my yard. I keep itching to go to the nurseries and get some replacement flowers, but I am trying to show some restraint, until I know I will be outside often enough to keep it all in good shape. I keep fantasizing about pesticides, just to get rid of the mosquitoes. Give me strength!

The movie was the reward I used to motivate myself to get all my work done first thing this morning. I know I'd heard negative reviews about the Lone Ranger, but I went anyway, with two of my girlfriends. It had its flaws, but overall it was a decent couple hours of escapism. Being from the part of the country formerly known as Indian Territory, it was a little annoying to see landforms that were so obviously Arizona and New Mexico being passed off as Texas. But I can't lie: I did like the killer rabbits.

1 comment: