Saturday, July 6, 2013

Sometimes You're the Windshield

Inspirational song: The Bug (Dire Straits)

I did another perimeter walk around the Park tonight. I needed to take stock of what the rain has destroyed, and what is managing to withstand the deluge. There were a few bright spots. A couple kinds of flowers actually seem to be doing well with being soaked. Marigolds seem to be doing really well for me, for the first time I can recall to this extent, and all the monkey grass is covered in spikes of purple blooms. There are a few knockout roses blooming, but the roses in the front look terrible. The hydrangeas are a hot mess, and the front bed that I worked so hard on for Memorial Day is even worse. I think today will be picture-heavy, and it will be brutally honest about how many things are drowning.

Last night was another opportunity to gather with my friends, although it was just too soggy to get a good bonfire going. I think we had all had a tiring holiday weekend, because we all seemed to wear out and leave en masse around 10. The car windows were fogged when I left, and the air coming through the vents was stale and muggy. Driving slowly in the dark, unable to see well, in that damp-smelling air, it felt suspiciously like being on a dark ride at an amusement park. I kept wondering what animatronic monster was going to jump out at me. Considering how many alligators wander out onto the road down here, including the one we saw in this very neighborhood, maybe it wasn't animatronics I needed to watch for.

All right, photo gallery time, starting with the biggest caladiums I have ever seen. These things are bigger than a Thanksgiving turkey platter. I thought the nickname "elephant ear" was generous for a caladium until I saw these.

2 comments: