Monday, November 19, 2018

Bonne Anniversaire

Inspirational song: Superwoman (Alicia Keys)

I’ve done a few things right in my life. I’m proud of several things. Topping that list would be creating two spectacular humans, and doing everything I knew how to do to impress upon them that they were strong, smart, and independent. They took that inspiration from me and ran with it, surpassing all of my dreams and expectations. I gave them the start. They showed me how it’s done. That they were both beautiful young women was a happy accident of genetics. That they became tough and caring and ethical showed the work they put into living their best lives.

I shan’t give away exactly what year it was, but on this night more than two decades ago, I was marveling at the brand new baby girl sharing my hospital room for the very first time. I had never held an infant before I created one, and I had no idea what to do, despite reading everything I could lay my hands on to tell me how to handle this task. She challenged me at every turn. I had to be flexible and think up solutions quickly. It’s not easy raising a clever kid. I tell you this, though. It’s worth it. The return on investment is high with a child like that.

I’m not good with presents or parties or getting anything at all in the mail. Thankfully my older daughter is wise and understanding enough not to hold that against me (or at least she makes me believe it to be so). The best I can do this year is to let her know she has been on my mind all day, and I’m eternally grateful that she was the one who shared that hospital room with me all those years ago, and no one else. My life has never been the same since we met on that rainy afternoon in November, and I wouldn’t want it any other way.

No comments:

Post a Comment