Thursday, November 22, 2018

Food Coma

Inspirational song: Where Everybody Knows Your Name (Gary Portnoy)

Ah, what a day. I don’t know about you, but I spent all day with cool people and way too much food. I’m currently sitting in my jammies on neighbor T’s couch, wondering how in the hell I'm going to fit a single bite of pecan pie in my face. We had two celebrations, one with the family (plus some new associated friends), and the second a friendsgiving next door. It ended with us bloated and sleepy, laughing at the best baby character in any movie (Jack-Jack in Incredibles 2). I’m hoping that by the time I stumble back to my home, I will find a space for a sliver of pie.

I did far less cooking this year than I do most years, yet I'm way more wiped out from what I did. I didn't plan far enough ahead for my dinner roll recipe. I didn't let them rise enough, and they were a little dry and a little grainy (no surprise, since they were mostly rice flour). I started a new recipe for a pie crust, one that contained yogurt as well as butter and GF flour blend, and it stressed heavily that it needed a minimum of two hours in the fridge. So I went to the Smith family meal, and pulled the disk of refrigerated raw pie crust out to roll out and fill once we got home. I had the option of using two sheets of parchment paper to make this process successful. But no, I chose a silicone baking mat with a parchment top. By the time it was rolled out to the size of the pie pan, it was one with the mat. I had to get a scraper to remove it from the mat, and I still had to squish it into place with my hands.

I hope I can make sense of all the fragments of conversations I remember from throughout the day. I chatted with a dozen people or more, and discussed everything from heavy, serious topics to the utterly absurd. It was the latter that made it into my notes for tonight: my alarm went off at 10, displaying "Muppet casket funeral cadence." Yeah. Once my daughter arrived, several of us around the living room table (3rd out of 3) were talking about different types of musical genres, and we wished out loud for a punk band that was all drums. My nephew informed us that this already exists, in the form of a speed metal drum line comprised of about 50 members. I now have a new goal in my five year plan: to see them in concert. But this revelation dovetailed into a new twist on my "if I were in (X) situation, I'd have the CU drum line for my musical backup" dream. That would have to be the music played at my funeral. Naturally, throwing out a topic like that was like throwing a lit match into a pile of dynamite. We decided that if there is a recessional from my funeral service, there will be shenanigans just like the entire Golden Buffalo Marching Band indulges in for every parade from the music building to the stadium on game day. There will have to be tosses of the casket, so that my uninhabited body pops up and flails its arms like a Muppet, hence the series of words that appeared on my phone, Muppet casket funeral cadence.



No comments:

Post a Comment