Sunday, November 4, 2018

GOTV2

Inspirational song: Stressed Out (Twenty One Pilots)

I put up a lot of analog clocks over the last year. I added them to my bedroom, bathroom, aand dressing room, plus I replaced one that started receiving stray signals from outer space and randomly reset itself during the day (it was supposed to be updated from NIST, but not daily). When I rise tomorrow, I'll have a bunch to reset for daylight savings. But I have to be honest, I don't really want that hour right now. I really, really don't. I want Tuesday midnight to arrive sooner than that. Keep the hour, or hold it until next weekend. Better yet, put it on Thanksgiving, so there is more time to split between the big family dinner and a more intimate one with the gang here. Don't make me wait for this election day to just be over with.

I wasted a lot of time playing on the iPad tonight, after company left. The evening went so well, meeting the new guy for our D&D group who appears to fit right in, but I am just super agitated, and I needed something repetitive and meaningless to kill time this weekend. It's not like I sleep anymore. I watched SNL while I played games, and saw myself in the short film that was intended to look like a political ad. The characters were average Joes pretending to be calm and confident about outcomes next week. Saying things they wanted to believe, but in shaky voices, while they downed bourbon or took hits on joints. Yeah. That hit home. No one knows for sure what will happen, and anyone who says they do is lying.

Regardless of how stressed I am, I was back at it today, with my co-precinct leader. This time we passed out vote notes to people whose ballots had not registered as returned at the time of printing the address sheets. There were fewer of them than when we put up voter guides a week and a half ago, which is good, but there were still a lot of people who had not yet voted in our precinct, which covers an area of about four by eight blocks. I'm doing everything I can to turn out the vote. It is so ridiculously easy to do it here, with everyone receiving paper ballots in the mail, that we can either mail in or drop off. There's no excuse for turnout to be small in this state. No good excuse, anyway. I don't know how much more I can do to get every human in my precinct to turn in a ballot. Maybe I'll offer to drive people to the drop off boxes on Tuesday. Whatever it takes to make it easy for citizens in my turf to perform their constitutional right and civic duty.


No comments:

Post a Comment