Sunday, November 18, 2018

Zero Tolerance

Inspirational song: White Rabbit (Jefferson Airplane)

When a day starts out with Tylenol and a muscle relaxer, it usually doesn't get any better from there. Could have been from sitting out in the snowstorm yesterday. Could have been from the brown liquor and dancing last night. Might have just been how contorted and poorly I sleep when there are a couple of needy felines pushing me around the bed, as they so often do. I woke with burning eyes and muscles that wouldn't loosen up.

I stopped taking pain pills a year ago. Lately I've been terrible about taking my regular medications, partly because I go through phases where swallowing pills is repulsive to me, and partly because refilling the daily pill minder is a loathsome chore. Pain levels have been way worse because of it. Still, I've stayed away from the heavy hitters. The medium ones too. So this morning's baclofen (mild muscle relaxer) dropped on me like a ton of bricks. I can't remember the last time one of those made me sleepy, if indeed that was what did it. I spent the entire morning nodding off in my chair, only waking when I felt my jaw starting to hang open (and closing it, hoping I wasn't already snoring). The same two cats who make my bed the least restful bed in the state pinned me to the chair, insuring that I went absolutely nowhere during my fleeting moments of consciousness.

It's a good thing no one expects much out of me on Sundays. I had been trying to make a regular thing about making crepes for breakfast on Sundays, but there was none of that today. It took me almost three hours to be able to form the words to ask for a cup of coffee to be delivered to me (so that I didn't disturb Rabbit, who had my left arm pinned).

The grogginess lasted all day. It carried over into football and video games next door. I couldn't keep up with the flashing lights and loud noises, and spent more time crocheting and listening to the smack talk between the others who were playing Mario without me. I nearly fell asleep on T's couch, in the middle of all the smack talk and dog shenanigans. And after all day feeling groggy and sleepy, now it's midnight and I'm still awake. This is intolerable.


No comments:

Post a Comment