Saturday, November 17, 2018

Ticketed

Inspirational song: Uptown Funk (Mark Ronson ft. Bruno Mars)

Silly people had tickets to stuff they had no intention of attending on a cold, snowy day. Naturally I was there for my friends, and I filled in where they were unable to perform. It took a little effort, but it was worth it.

Yesterday evening a friend told us that her company had tickets to the CU football game that were unclaimed by anyone at the office. Between the upcoming holiday, the snow that was predicted, and the fact that the team was off to a 5-0 start and then lost every game since, no one else wanted to take advantage of the tickets, so we stepped in. It was an early game and we missed kickoff. I thought there would be a shuttle from the underground mall lot where I have traditionally parked, and there wasn't. It took several minutes to walk up the half mile or so in the snow, but we both were fairly sanguine about this game. We were okay with being late. We missed the band's pregame show and the running of Ralphie the buffalo. (For the second half it was so cold and slick they ran Chip instead.) We made it in time to see CU score their first touchdown. Unfortunately, it was also their last, at least until we left in the third quarter, and checked the score from the Starbucks at the Safeway down the hill. As always, the Band Team won, and that was good enough. They're enormous this year, fielding around 270 students. We stayed long enough to see them, and that was worth sitting in the bitter cold and wet snow.

My second free ticket of the day was to the Rotary holiday ball. I went with two of my friends from the club. It was different than last year: different location, different setup, different food (less), and a whole different vibe. It still had a band playing so loud that I couldn't carry on much of a conversation, but I tried my best. It ended up being a good night, and although the band was loud, they were really talented (they were called Wash Park, if you're curious). I even found myself on the dance floor. That doesn't happen very often. It's a once in a decade sort of event. Between the game and the dancing, I got my exercise in for the day, and I got a healthy dose of snowy weather. It's feeling like the holidays already, y'all.











No comments:

Post a Comment