Thursday, November 29, 2018

Holed Up

Inspirational song: (I Never Promised You a) Rose Garden (Lynn Anderson)

On my personal Facebook page, I have a habit of sharing memes that center on chronic illness, for myself and in support of my friends who have them as well, partly in the hopes able-bodied persons might approach us sufferers with gentleness and understanding. If I had one handy, I’d make tonight’s entry just one big meme that boils down to “Welp. It happened again. Sorry.”

I barely left my bedroom all day. When I woke I was just still a little fatigued, but after maybe half an hour of getting caught up on a hugely significant news day, I was exhausted. I wasn’t interested in getting up for coffee, much less in making myself food. I dozed off several times, and with each waking I felt worse. Nausea. Headache. Body aches. Difficulty regulating my temperature. Intense fatigue.

I assume that most people experiencing these symptoms would conclude they caught a virus. It has been so long since I thought that way, I really don’t know how you all react. Me, I had two theories: either this was just another flare day, similar to countless others, or it is what they so charmingly call the “Keto Flu.” My money is on option B. I’m on day four of this diet. I haven’t cheated, and I’m reasonably certain (99%) that I didn’t mess up unintentionally either. I’ve shed about 5 pounds of water weight (ask me how I’m sure it’s water...), and right about now my body is figuring out that carbs are not coming back for a while. It’s tantruming.

I hope by tomorrow I’m right as rain. The google says this can last anywhere from a couple of days to a whole month. I’m not suffering from giving up grains nearly as much as I am losing sugar, so maybe I’ll come down on the short side with half my battle already won. Here’s hoping.


No comments:

Post a Comment