Saturday, November 24, 2018

Crafty

Inspirational song: Looks Like We Made It (Barry Manilow)

This was not how I expected to spend the day. For one, I was absolutely sure I wouldn't set foot in a retail store on Black Friday. Yet there I was, overwhelmed by the sights and sounds of a Michael's, seriously re-evaluating my life goals. I put more things back on the shelf than I walked out with, and thanks to a coupon I found on my phone, I spent less than I feared I would. However, I also left with a fire in my belly. I spent the whole rest of the day making stuff. I kept creating, and then moving on to the next project. I went digging through my craft room looking for something to use for a new dog bed for Murray and Elsa, and instead found myself using cool mid-20th century styled fabric I'd bought years ago to make curtains for my laundry room. Every time I took a sit-down break all day, I kept picking up my crochet project that I've been carrying with me everywhere for two weeks. And then after dinner, I tried a whole new thing I've never done before.

While I was at Michael's, I wandered down the wood crafts aisle. I had been half-considering buying an unfinished wood piece to replace something that the cats damaged last week, but I put it back and started to leave the store. The wood crafting tools caught my eye, and I had been sort of wanting to try wood burning for a little while now. The irons were right there, easy-peasy to get one. I got a cheap one, just to practice with (even cheaper when I found that 40% black Friday coupon in my email while waiting in a line that snaked through the front of the store).

I don't know what I expected wood burning to feel like, but I certainly put no thought into what it would smell like. I had natural wood from the mountain, not glued-together prefab blanks from the craft store. I wouldn't have imagined it would stink, but it did. I can still smell it, more than two hours since I put it all away. It was easy to pick up, at least. I used two of the burning tips, the standard chisel tip and the flat shader. After playing for a little while, I think I sort of liked it. Not sure what I want to do with it going forward, but I bet I can find something good.





No comments:

Post a Comment