Saturday, December 15, 2018

Back Room Deals

Inspirational song: Mrs. Robinson (Simon & Garfunkel)

I promised to show all my photos from the Chico trip once I was home. I need another day to rest before I sort everything. I didn't get enough today, even though I had an extended nap this afternoon. It was a lot of miles on this old body, and I had to get up early this morning, whether I slept well or not. It was a civic duty sort of day, and we made sure our travel plans didn't interfere with it.

Our state senator was elected to be a county commissioner instead, which necessitated pulling together a vacancy committee meeting on short notice during the holidays. We had to make a quorum of 88 people to ward off turning the choice to the governor to appoint. It's possible he would have chosen the same guy that we eventually voted through (the new governor was previously a congressman from our county, after all, and knows the cast of characters here), but it was still best to do this at a local level.

There's a stereotype that party decisions are made in smoke filled back rooms. Not around here. It was a bunch of modern hippies in a middle school cafeteria. These are my people.

But thanks to three hours on a hard plastic school bench, following three hours on a hard plastic plane seat (we flew cheap), capping days in a confined space, I'm just wiped out. No pictures, no great expository writing. Rest now, write later.

No comments:

Post a Comment