Tuesday, December 25, 2018

Gift Exchange

Inspirational song: Santa Claus and His Old Lady (Cheech and Chong)

Merry Christmas, y'all. I had a pretty good day, but man, I'm tired now. We exchanged some fun gifts, we ate some good food, and then we drove to my sister-in-law's house and did it all over again. Great day.

Now that it has been given away, I can finally show you the stuff I made. I'm pretty proud of it.



A couple of months ago, I brought home one of those yogurt sundaes from Costco, and left it on the table. Naturally, Harvey tipped it over, and I didn't notice right away because there was a bunch of stuff piled on the table, including a paper box holding tiles that make up a D&D customizable map. The yogurt glued the box to the table, along with some character sheets, ruining all of them. To apologize for the damage Harvey and I brought, I got a basic wooden box from Michaels, copied a design from the internet, used my wood burning tool to outline it and give it dimension, stained the wood, and then painted and sealed it.. I ran out of time to line it with fabric. That's next week.


Months ago I bought a whole bunch of black yarn to crochet a wrap for myself, using the crochet action to sooth my jangled nerves. It was buy 2 get 1 free, and I got all 8 skeins from the bin. I told my younger daughter to choose the 3rd free one, and she picked this purple and green blend. I didn't ask her what sort of thing she wanted. I had done scarves already, last year. So I found a hat pattern that was kind of early 20th century, and made it all in 24 hours, staying up until 3 am that night. I kind of dig it. I might make one in a different color for myself, later in the winter.


When all the girls were teenagers, I made them thick shapeless wraps to wear around the house, and they all liked them. However, someone stole my foster daughter's wrap a while back. She asked for something she could wear while she played video games, like she used to with the old one. This was the project I took with me on the RV trip, and I absolutely loved the pattern. She says she likes it too.


I was not the only one who made gifts. Foster daughter did too, and the flames on my glass were directly inspired by my D&D character, the cranky gnome Gunda. She is a vindictive spellcaster who loves her fire bolts and, to quote the internet perfection that is Hermione Granger and the God Damn Patriarchy, "she set that bitch on fire."


Someone never got over her teenage love for Sailor Jupiter. And she likes her hat.


Mr S-P's mimosa glass.


They gave him "elf snot," and it was supposed to have a toy hidden inside it. They tried to find it, but all they found was disappointment. And snot.


Stocking detritus.


You know, I'm sort of surprised I didn't capture Momo in one of these pictures. He was in everything, climbing in the gift bags, getting trapped by that wrapping paper organizer lid (the white plastic thing), and generally being a pest. (He's the grey and white cat from the picture Friday night.)


We played a little Quiplash and You Don't Know Jack. If we had had more time, I probably could have talked them into Murder Trivia Party too.


In between nuclear family Christmas and in-laws, I had a Murder Floof break.


There are still some wide open spaces left around here, but only a few. There is construction pretty much everywhere along the route to my in-laws', except this one spot.


And that's it. I hope your holiday has been happy. I have a lot left to do this week, and then I can slide on down to my favorite holiday, New Year's Eve. I haven't figured out how I want to spend it, but I still have time to work that out.

No comments:

Post a Comment