Tuesday, December 4, 2018

Step One

Inspirational song: What Is Life? (George Harrison)

Finally, after more than a week of sitting in a bucket of water in my garage, the tree is inside! We lost the bottom two feet of it before it came in, so that it would fit in the living room. That's what at least a week of the delay was, waiting for the Mr to saw it down and carry it in. We also have a second one on the other side of the window, on the porch. There isn't a lot of fullness in these trees, I admit, and I was a little sad to lose the bottom of them where there was a bit of spread. But for all that others might see Charlie Brown trees, these trees have sentimental value far beyond their physical attributes for us. They're from our mountain property, up near the cabin that we spent all summer building. These are home grown Christmas trees, and I love them.

Okay, I'll confess, they were also sort of in the way. One was in the road on the way up, and the other was too close to the cabin. So they both had to come out. That's why we have two. But they're cool, aren't they? Admit it. If you had access to an almost unlimited supply of free Christmas trees (or for the price of a drive and a hike to someplace you loved), wouldn't you take advantage of it too?

The trees will stay undecorated for tonight. We had to see how the cats would take it. So far, so good. Other than a little sniffing, no one has lost their feline mind over them. Of course, nothing twinkles or dangles off them yet. I will probably put lights on the inside one tomorrow, assuming that I don't hear it crash to the floor overnight. I have to dig out extension cords that can reach into the garage, and then I can address the porch tree too. (There are days it's a little inconvenient living in a 60 year old house.) There's no way that Harvey can knock over the porch tree. So maybe I can go ahead with the dangly bits on it too. I'm afraid to do much inside as of yet. It depends on how many epic cat battles happen in front of it (or in it).





No comments:

Post a Comment