Thursday, December 6, 2018

Blanket Party Revisited

Inspirational song: Christmas Vacation (Mavis Staples)

It’s becoming a fun little tradition, our brokerage volunteer project for December. We usually have some sort of meal together, and we sit around and bond over making blankets to provide to shelters or charities that cater to families that are struggling. The blankets are simple, a couple of yards of fleece, trimmed and cut into fringes that are then tied in little knots. To a kid whose family is experiencing financial insecurity, or to a teenager who has just aged out of the foster system, these are a small bit of comfort that we can provide. We’ve made them to give out at least three or four times since I joined this group, and I enjoy the chance to make them. Often we will pair off, and each work two sides of a blanket, to make them go faster. With our hands busy on an easy task, we are free to converse and catch up, which is important especially when we only see each other once a month.

I’m about to go on an adventure to make a big donation (more on this in days to come), and I’m seriously considering making three more of them to complement the gift. If I can organize my time and energy to get some fleece, I’ll do it. I wonder whether the Sunday football group would want to help fringe them. It’s fun, and I’m not saying that in a Tom Sawyer sort of way.

We held our blanket party today at a locally owned coffee shop in Loveland. One of my fellow brokers had a whole room filled with his paintings that were for sale. The art installation was terrific, and the coffee was damned good too. I’m glad to know there’s this good of a place to stop for coffee between my house and office, and I’m super impressed by my coworker’s artistic voice. I hope I have time to get back and study the art while it’s up. I might try to acquire a piece. My home provides a warm welcome to art of all kinds.


No comments:

Post a Comment