Tuesday, December 11, 2018

Westward Ho

Inspirational song: Start the Car (Travis Tritt)

This is the closest I've come to missing a night of blogging since the last major surgery four years ago. We had pulled off at a rest area in western Utah, and my head was on a pillow, eyes closed. A perfect record is nothing to give up lightly, so up I sprang, and I dashed across the cold RV to get my phone.

What's that? Cold RV? Yeah. Holy crap, yeah. The heater up front can't compete with the cold air blowing in through the defrost vent, where apparently a shroud is missing. Hooray. And to find out whether the propane heater would fire correctly meant opening the door and risking losing what minimal heat we had on a gamble with poor odds. Better to burrow under a few thick blankets and call it good for the night. Besides, this is the warmest I've been since around Fort Collins.

The wind through Wyoming was insane. I tried to get a clear picture (through a dirty window) of the highway warning signs announcing 65+ mph gusts. By the time we approached Rock Springs, Wyoming, the wind ahead of us was calming, but behind us they were closing the highway to "light high profile vehicles." That probably meant us. We cleared it just in time.

So far my pictures are all the same, sweeping vistas of wide open, snowy landscapes in Wyoming. I can't attach any of them now, because the phone app removed that ability more than 3 years ago. I'll save them for an all-picture post this weekend. For now, I need to hide my hands under the covers so I don't freeze. I told my kids, I have newfound respect for settlers 150 years ago who crossed these cold lands in covered wagons. Brr.

No comments:

Post a Comment