Thursday, May 9, 2019

Gropple

Inspirational song: School's Out (Alice Cooper)

Another semester is closing out. It was the last day of class for the Mr, who still has to grade final exams next week. And it was CU's graduation, on a cold, sloppy wet day in Boulder. Me, I was thrilled not to have to go anywhere at all today. There was probably somewhere I was expected to be. It didn't get written down, so it officially doesn't exist.

There was light snow when I woke, and it switched back and forth from rain to snow to gropple all day. A couple of times, I had to peek out the windows to decide whether it really was gropple and not full-blown hail. I don't think the little ice-balls got bigger than a millimeter across, so I'll stick with the funnier precipitation name. For what it's worth, I'll blame the weather for why I stayed inside all day. Sure. Let's go with that. I was just happy to have one more day where I was able to take it easy and heal. I threw my heart into cleaning the kitchen and making cassava flour crepes for us and the kids, and the rest of the day was devoted to recuperation.

The kids at CU made the best of the snow. I think I heard that they had about three inches of snow in Folsom Field during commencement. The news showed snowball fights and parents in rain ponchos sitting under umbrellas. I'm so glad none of the ceremonies I attended, as a participant or a support person, were like this.

Now that school's out and the May snowstorm has come and gone (has it, though?), it's time to start prepping for cabin season. Completely opposite to last year, there will be snow up on the mountain through June at least. The Mr will be able to climb up and check out the cabin, but I don't know how soon before T and I can start hauling up insulation and interior paneling to finish the job. And to be honest, depending on how hard radiation and possibly chemotherapy hits me, I might be lucky to get up there by 4th of July. I'll just be so happy to have the rest of the building materials up on the hill and out of my garage. If all goes well, I might get to park my car in the garage by Halloween.


No comments:

Post a Comment