Saturday, May 18, 2019

Working Through the Stress

Inspirational song: Dear Friend (Fish)

One of my besties is moving two states away. She's only going to be around here for a few more weeks, and then the whole family is going to a smaller city in the Black Hills. We haven't been able to hang out nearly as often as I had hoped when I first moved back to Colorado. While she was in the next county over, it wasn't so bad, but they had moved farther south a couple of years ago, right around the time I stopped enjoying driving more than about fifteen minutes to anywhere. We have been trying to get some quality time together before the big move. Today she and her husband came up for a visit, and she and I went for one last lunch at our favorite French cafe. It will be sad not having them close anymore, but I am looking forward to visiting South Dakota in the near future. I've never been to Mount Rushmore. I want to see the buffalo roundup at Custer State Park. And I remember the Norwegian wooden church in Rapid City that we toured years ago when we were moving from North Dakota to California, and I'd like to see it again. The one thing I have zero interest in: Sturgis. At least during the rally week. I don't want to experience that traffic on the roads between here and there. I don't even like riding on the interstate between home and Costco when everyone in the region is driving up I-25 to Sturgis. Any other week, and I will be happy to go visit my BFF up north.

The shot they gave Rabbit for pain has obviously worn off. Yesterday she was lethargic and the antibiotic had done nothing for her. Today she seems to still be in pain, but she's being a trooper about it. It's breaking my heart, and it's stressing me out beyond bearing waiting for the infection to abate. Her pupils are completely dilated, and she rubs her face on stuff, wanting to make it stop hurting. But she's at least moving around, and trying to drink some water. I have convinced her to eat the vitamin paste she likes (when she can smell and taste it) a couple of times. I'll be happy when she can get real food down. Sunday will be a challenge, keeping her as comfortable as possible until the vet opens up Monday morning, and we can ask for a booster to the antibiotics (if they'll give it).

I blew off steam after my friend left by doing some more painting. It's all still practice, but I think I've made enough progress to give up on the cheap illustration boards. They warp every time. The small ones curl in and the paint puddles in the middle, crunching up the neat designs. The bigger ones arched and dumped paint off of one corner, on both of the boards I made. There was a great sale on canvases at Michael's this weekend, plus a coupon that took off a little more. I picked up four new canvases begging me to woman up and do this for real. I need more pouring medium (Elmers glue and Floetrol), and I'm off to the races.










No comments:

Post a Comment