Sunday, May 19, 2019

Not Today

Inspirational song: The Song Is Over (The Who)

It's raining to beat the band out there. It waited to really come down until we had walked home from watching the Game of Thrones finale with T and his girlfriend. Since then it has poured. So glad the Mr found a minute to mow the front yard this afternoon. I don't imagine it will be possible again for several days. Last year was so ridiculously dry we started worrying about the long term health of our mountain home. This year the snow pack maps that track water storage in the various drainage regions of the state are completely opposite to last year. Where in 2018, the southern mountains were at zero percent of water availability by June or July, so far this year those same places are showing 200% and more snow pack. Up north where we are was around 110-120% the last time I looked, more than a week ago. We're in an extended rainy period, so we should be even better off. At this rate, we will be looking at mud slides in the southern mountains, and testing of the flood mitigation done since 2013 up here. It's still coming down as snow at higher elevations. They showed a photo of the Trail Ridge Road visitors' center in Rocky Mountain National Park a few days ago. Or rather, they showed a glimpse of rooftops in snow up to the eaves. We won't be going up there for Memorial Day, that's for sure.

I'm still quite mellow and contemplative since Game of Thrones ended. I drank a bold, red wine, as was appropriate, for the finale. Now I'm quiet and sleepy, and not sure how to feel about it all. I consider myself lucky that I didn't have HBO until two years ago, so I didn't expend almost a decade of my life caring about this. I binged on it starting in 2017, and finished up with all of the hardcore fans tonight. As always, I will keep spoilers out of my blog. I will say that I did not expect most of what happened tonight. There was only one bit I saw coming, and I wasn't sure it would happen until about four seconds before it did. Some of it was so out of left field I could barely stand it. I'm not alone.

Rabbit had an exceedingly restless night last night. It stressed everyone out, especially me and her. She kept jumping up and pacing, going from my hip to my bedside table to the floor just inside my closet door, over and over and over and over... She didn't sleep, so I didn't sleep. Somewhere around 3 or 4 this morning, I remembered that we had a liquid pain medication left over from when Alfred got kidney stones that blocked his plumbing. As soon as I had a mouthful of coffee or two this morning, I dug it out, and gave her a dose slightly less than 40% of what Alfred was prescribed. Within half an hour, she was much calmer. Enough to attempt to eat several times today, but her sense of smell appears to be lacking. She keeps asking for regular food, and refusing to eat it once it's by her face. She has taken a few squeezes from the tube of vitamin paste, but because she is frantically rubbing her face against things to make the infection stop bothering her, she sometimes rubs the paste on her face too. We are counting the minutes until the vet clinic reopens, so we can get a follow-up visit, and maybe more antibiotics, if they agree. I do feel like we turned a corner today, though. Saturday I feared this was going to be the end of Rabbit. Tonight I have hope that she just might make it. I'll do everything I possibly can to ensure she stays with me.

It feels like I'm swimming upstream right now, so I think the best photo is one I took late last week. I was in line to go through the car wash, and I noticed the evergreen bush that had sprouted for spring. It looked like an entire bush full of hands giving the middle finger. I didn't get a great picture, whipping out my camera for one brief flash before I had to continue around the loop to enter the car wash tunnel. Still, it encapsulates my mood. The Dancing Master Syrio Forel: What do we say to the god of death? Arya Stark: Not today.



No comments:

Post a Comment