Tuesday, December 31, 2019

Twenty

Inspirational song: Slàinte Mhath (Marillion)

An incredible sense of peace has settled over me this evening. I’m all by myself, and I am really enjoying it. I had zero interest in going to a loud party or being outside in the cold. I don’t need fireworks or alcohol. I’m in pajamas, leaning on pillows on the bed, with local tv news to entertain me. There are two nearly complete cross stitch hoops in my lap, and a glass of water on the bedside table. This is exactly where I want to be.

Teaching at a community college is fulfilling, but when one of the adults in a household has spent a year battling cancer instead of working, teaching doesn’t pay all the bills. So the Mr is out driving Lyft tonight. It used to bother me when we were in different locations on this holiday (I was a bit superstitious about it), but tonight I’m fine with him being out there. Yes, it is going to be a lucrative night. But also, he will be keeping upwards of a dozen drunks off the road. He is saving lives, people. That’s pretty cool.

I guess I will stay up all the way to midnight. I’m relaxed enough I could just sleep now, but I won’t. The last several years have worn out their welcome, and by the end of December I’m yelling at them not to let the door hit them on the way out. 2019 is no exception. I’m sick of it. Will the 20s be any better? No idea. I know of at least one big cool thing on the horizon, and one big scary uncertainty following later. There will be fun events and opportunities for anxiety. In other words, a year. I raise my glass of water and herald its arrival.

No comments:

Post a Comment