Thursday, May 21, 2020

Baby Practice

Inspirational song: You Give Love a Bad Name (Bon Jovi)

Baby cuddles are getting a whole lot more fun. Now that Little Miss Smith has more practice being on the outside, she is demonstrating great skill in being cute and charming. I missed seeing her yesterday, so she had 48 hours of baby practice by the time I arrived this afternoon with takeout food for her parents and a big need to hold my little princess. (I do not say that with the assumption she will be a stereotypical girly girl. I just recognize she will rule my heart.) Today she was alert, and we spent a lot of time gazing deeply into each other's eyes. Sure, she only vaguely focused on my face, but I think she believed me when I reminded her that I was the one pledged to spoil her for the rest of my life. 

She went through a phase of losing a little weight, as babies so often do in the first couple days after birth. Watching how heartily that little girl ate today, I have confidence that the trend will be towards growth from here. She is definitely processing more calories now. Milk in, not milk out. I had her resting against me, as she "informed" me that another diaper change was due, musing that life would have been more amusing if "shart" had been a part of my vocabulary when I was a young mother. At that point, her father created a much more accurate verb for what she was doing: "shiccup." Language is fun.

I think I was there roughly six hours, enjoying the snot out of being a grandmother. The tiny human was pleasant the entire time. She got briefly fussy when her diaper was full and when her belly was empty, and both of those conditions were easily solved. My kids are doing a superior job of learning how to be parents. Because of the lockdown, they missed in-person new baby classes. The beauty of our time is that all the resources they needed were available online. I'm impressed with their attention to detail and rapid skills development. 

No comments:

Post a Comment