Tuesday, May 5, 2020

Prioritize

Inspirational song: School’s Out (Alice Cooper)

As I mulled over how to start tonight’s installment, I learned from the television that this was National Teacher Appreciation Day, apparently. I now wish I had done more for the teacher who lives here. I mean, I did make lemon-blueberry-ricotta pancakes after his second class of the morning. But that was more as a way to mark the last day of instruction of the semester. There will be final exams to evaluate and grades to submit, but the bulk of it is over. In any other era I might be theorizing about how our schedule would change for the season, but for real, where exactly would we go with our free time now? Front yard, back yard. King Soopers, Ace Hardware. Pharmacy for curbside pickup. If we feel really frisky, we might risk a trip to Costco for the first time in a month or more. All suitably masked, of course. Living the high life, we are.

It’s not so bad, is it? We still find plenty of things to do, and even the times when our bodies and minds are just coasting, that’s okay too. We all have a chance to reorder our priorities during this shutdown. I had already started simplifying what I wanted, in terms of activity, income, and accumulated objects. This is only serving to push me farther down the path of a quiet life with no interest in returning to the world that broke me with stress.

Where does that leave me? It leaves me right at the doorstep of becoming the person I have dreamed of being for several years now: a grandma with time to donate to one or more small persons who could benefit from my knowledge and skills. As of earlier this evening, small person number one was not ready to make their grand entrance. Sorry to the five people who have officially lost the pool thus far. The big day will definitely happen between right now and two weeks from now. I expect it to happen soon. I started making a bassinet sheet, now that Joanns finally sent me the elastic I ordered two weeks ago, along with some Pikachu fabric. I probably have time to get it fitted correctly (first cut was a little loose) before it is put to use. And after cutting a small one plus a regular crib sized sheet. I have just enough fabric left over for something cute. What, exactly, remains to be seen.

No comments:

Post a Comment