Monday, May 4, 2020

Parade

Inspirational song: Estonia (Marillion)

Emotional health has been on my mind lately. I definitely am racing between moods, from giggly to angry to excited to despondent, as easy as changing clothes. There are so many inputs and I don't know where to land. I wonder about everyone else too. You holding up? There is a lot to process these days. It's okay to actually feel it, even if it stings a bit. I hope you are all finding ways to bring peace to your pandemic-era lives.

Traffic on my street is usually constant, during normal times. Today it was suddenly a constant parade of cars, and because there is a stop sign half a block up, they had to go pretty slow past my house. At first I thought it was a funeral. Then I saw there was a bus in the line, and later a guy with a Pizza Hut lighted sign on his roof. Eventually I remembered that they aren't really doing funerals right now, so then I thought maybe it was one of those we-love-you drive-by events people are organizing now. But everyone in the cars just seemed to be going one place to another. No one was carrying signs or looking particularly celebratory. After hours of this, I decided it couldn't be one of those drive-bys, but I was still stumped what it was. Late in the day, the Mr informed me that there was a ton of construction on the main artery roads closest to us, and we just happened to be on the detour route. You can't imagine how disappointed I was to learn no one up the road from me was getting a parade of well-wishers.

I walked around my yard a couple of times, trying to be inconspicuous, studying the traffic pattern as the constant line of cars drove north. I noticed that my yard is about to enter a heavily purple phase. The vinca already has a few purple blooms, buried under weeds and grass in the Unless garden. There are six lilac bushes up front, all about a week away from blooming. It's going to smell fantastic up there very soon. There is still grape hyacinth all over, spreading like weeds in the grass as well as flower beds. And by the end of the month, irises are going to rock my world. They will look a lot better once we dive in and rip out all the extraneous greenery trying to choke them out.

No comments:

Post a Comment