Wednesday, May 27, 2020

Desperate Measures

Inspirational song: Flowers on the Wall (Statler Brothers)

After spending a day on a boat on a lake, a person often feels phantom waves for hours after returning to dry land. I know I always have trouble sleeping on nights like that, from the residual motion. Today I discovered that it's possible to get that sensation from other substances. I spent so much time today prying apart clods of earth and sod, picking vineweed roots out of them, that even now, hours later, I feel like wet soil is dabbing at me, all over my neck, arms, and hands. In the past, I've dug up dandelions for so long that the image of the leaf clusters is burned on my retinas, and I can see them in my sleep. This is like that, but far more tactile. 

We jumped forward along the project track. There is now a giant, deep hole in the front yard. Turns out there are vineweed and creeping bellflower roots almost two feet down. Mr S-P made two big piles of sod for me to clean out, in the shade, and then he just kept digging towards the center of the earth to prepare for the next bed and gravel path area. A volunteer peach tree is filling in the deepest part of that hole, but soon the rest will be refilled, leveled, and covered with weed barrier and gravel (I expect to need to veto mulch a few more times before it's done.)

After he did a little carpentry in his driveway, T wandered to the edge of our property, and looked at the deep hole, shaking his head. I said something about how hard it was to get rid of the vineweed and bellflower. He threw his hands up in defeat and said now it has started taking over his yard too, but he was not about to dig like we are doing. Does this mean we could eradicate it all from here, only to find he is banking it, and sending it back over?



No comments:

Post a Comment