Wednesday, May 13, 2020

Thorough

Inspirational song: Don't Pay the Ferryman (Chris de Burgh)

Mr S-P always says it, when he is doing home maintenance. If it is worth doing once, it is worth doing right. It annoyed me when we were trying to paint the house in Charleston, and he pulled the smoke detectors down to paint underneath them, thus making home sale projects take longer. But when he is doing things like building privacy fences that lasts for years without noticeable aging, I have to agree that his prudence is helpful. 

We attacked the deep weeds in the front yard again. He turned over a bunch of ground next to the irises, and I sat there for well over two hours digging out the tangled carrot-like roots. I never moved more than a few inches, just scooting around a little, turning all directions. Every time my back screamed at me and I wanted to give up, I just reminded myself of what the man always says. Do it right the first time, so you don't have to come back and do it again. I know eventually these pernicious weeds will come back. I just want the garden to stay clear through most of the growing season so I don't have to get back down on the ground and put myself through it again. It will easily take years to wear down these roots until they run out of regenerative energy. I just want to be able to leave it until at least August. I may be fooling myself though.

I was wiped out when I came inside. I stared at the television while I ate a cheese enchilada frozen dinner. I ran electricity through my back for an hour with the TENS. I sat in the hot tub for forty-five minutes. I had two giant glasses of the red wine T made last year. And none of it helped. I'm beyond sore. I'm exhausted. And I am still freaking waiting for that kid to start labor and make me an official grandma. Time to crawl in bed and see whether tomorrow is the magic day. (It's the day both of my dads chose it the baby pool, so let's see whether they are good guessers.)

No comments:

Post a Comment