Saturday, May 30, 2020

Calm Places

Inspirational song: State of Mind (Fish)

When faced with overwhelming feelings about things that are well beyond my control, I often retreat into familiar niceties. In those happy places is where I spent this day, trying hard not to feel swamped by my country on fire. The day is surely coming soon where I can no longer hide, but today was not that day.

While I had mild weather with good shade, I worked more on the front yard weed eradication project. My hands were too dirty to check my phone, so I was lost with my own thoughts. I kept them in neutral places to the fullest extent of my control. It is easy to immerse myself in gardening, when I am in reasonable health, and so I did. 

When my shade ran out, I got cleaned up, and we went to our daughter's house for a celebratory event. There was a video chat baby shower for one of my neices. Now why didn't I think of doing this before Valerie was born? It was fun to check in with that side of the family, and to hold up Valerie to the camera like Simba on Pride Rock. (No singing, though.) The baby had been fussy all day, and it appeared that she was saving up all her good behavior for her grandfather. He was the only one who could work the magic consistently. She was okay for me, but I was not the one she wanted. That's fine. I will have my moment. 

She is growing nicely. Her neck is starting to get stronger, and now that her umbilical stump is gone, she is liking belly time a bit more. She is transitioning from looking like a squishy newborn into the little old man face stage. This part is entertaining.

No comments:

Post a Comment