Monday, May 6, 2013

A Sight for Sore Eyes

Inspirational song: Majestic (Wax Fang)

A child with dozens of skin allergies to grass/weeds and an inefficient sweat cooling system grows into an adult who prefers to be indoors not out. It makes it a drag when your husband wants to go camping and your children want you to watch their soccer games. When it rains for days, I'm usually the first person to admit liking it, the one who claims that living in a climate like London's would be just fine. But yesterday, there I was, nose pressed to the glass in the back door, watching endless rain, and wishing I could be outside playing. This morning the rain cleared, and I waited for the sun to rise fully, leaving at 10 to walk farther into the development than I have in a year. I walked through soreness until muscles worked themselves out and the entire experience felt like a victory.

I took lots of photos on today's walk. Everywhere I looked I saw beauty. It lit up the memory centers of my brain, and I saw my childhood haunts in the strangest places. The right of way between backyards became the old money neighborhood in my Oklahoma hometown. The overgrowth by the river became the German woods where I followed my brother and his friends into adventures, when I was still very young and fearless. And all the ponding water felt like a luxury after years in the desert where the smallest puddle would stop me in my tracks, just to stare at the light reflecting on anything wet.

I'm struggling to sit still and write today. It's not a day to reflect, I guess. It's a day to do.

No comments:

Post a Comment