Saturday, May 18, 2013

Wilting Flower

Inspirational song: White and Nerdy (Weird Al Yankovic)

I have this image of myself that is based more on who I used to be than who I am now. And even then, it may be a little over-inflated compared to who I really was. I still imagine I am a strong, independent, and athletic person with an iron constitution, who is a die-hard do-it-yourselfer. Years of surgeries and illness make the iron constitution part a thing of the past, but there is no reason I can't bring myself back to the tough chick who liked to lift weights for exercise. I say this after spending about two hours on the couch to cool off and rehydrate from just over one hour mowing part of the back of the Park. I definitely do better outside on cloudy days than in the sun. They say we're entering the usual pattern for this part of the country, with warm sunny mornings and pop-up thunderstorms by late afternoon. I need to adjust my schedule accordingly. 

It always surprises me, how much more I like the expanse of lawn when it's mowed. I see shaggy grass the same way anyone else would view a thick, thorny bramble. It is uninviting and impenetrable, even now as I have gained the ability to touch so many more plants than ever before. Grass is my holdout. I dislike touching it more than anything else. But once it is groomed, I tolerate it, even think it's pretty sometimes. Today was one of those times. With every pass of the mower, I stopped to look back and admire what I made, like each circuit was an artistic victory. If this isn't a sign that I really need to start painting or potting, I don't know what is. I watched a video online today of Frankoma pottery, and it made me want to get my hands dirty again. I wonder where I could find one of those little one-pot sized kilns. Surely there's one out there with my name on it.

While I wait for the heat of the day to pass, I suppose I can always sneak off and watch the new Star Trek movie. The plants and animals can spare me for a couple hours while I ponder the mysteries of the universe. "The only question I ever thought was hard, was do I like Kirk, or do I like Picard?" 

No comments:

Post a Comment