Tuesday, May 14, 2013

Focus

Inspirational song: I'm Just a Girl Who Can't Say No (Oklahoma)

Today I have all the focus of an over-caffeinated squirrel. I have way too many things to do in the next week, way too many opportunities for social awkwardness, too many chances for my mouth to get me in trouble. So rather than knuckling down and getting everything done by my deadline, I decided I needed to stick with my morning routine, so that I don't spend the rest of the day having sudden panic attacks because I skipped the things that calm me.

I let my mind bounce around random observations while I walked the back route around houses near me. I noticed that while I had an early season advantage for mounds of pink and white flowers, my neighbors are working to catch up to me. Another Bradford pear has come down (good!) and I'm still waiting for new owners to move into a house I thought was cute when it was for sale. At least I assume they aren't moved in. Maybe they just don't care that a dead tree snapped off and tipped over in their yard, and has been there for weeks, a sad skeleton for vigorous Virginia creeper. 

My man asked for pictures of the condition our trees are in, especially the bald cypress he planted the day before he left. Really, I asked him, you don't look at the blog? So when I got back from my walk, I took more photos to assure him they're alive. He should be pleased to note that some sweet helper in the Park thinned out the peaches from the bigger tree. He worried that there were too many and they would make the branches sag. Problem solved.

After the last board meeting, I had this idea that I was done with almost all my club obligations. Yesterday at lunch, it really sank in how much there is yet to do, especially this week. It is up to me to find the right thank you/going away present for our very important, very well-loved advisor. I have to do it now, before a doctor's appointment, before a dessert reception tonight for our scholarship recipients. The gift is to be presented at a brunch for the board tomorrow, so I have one shot at this to get it right. I suck at choosing presents. Why did I say yes?

2 comments:

  1. Your bald cypress looks great. Mine has one green sprout at the bottom. I hope it recovers from the last two late freezes we had.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Mr man was very pleased the cypress appears to be thriving. It didn't go in until well past the last freeze here. And he was actually surprised that someone small helped themselves to our peaches and blueberries. I ate that last berry on the small bush, just so I would get something out of the yard. I told the dog he was on double duty now.

      Delete