Saturday, May 11, 2013

Second Spring

Inspirational song: Same Love (Macklemore & Ryan Lewis)

It is amazing to me, the difference in perspective when you pick your head up and actually look at what is around you. I just spent a half an hour walking my daughter's dog through the winding paths of her condo complex, watching the dog intently, waiting for her to accomplish our task at hand. I eventually gave up, and started looking at how beautiful it was where we were. As we crossed the last street to go home I finally raised my head all the way, and noticed the three hot air balloons that were rising just north of us. I imagined their passengers to be parents in town for graduation like me, taking their families up to view the  Flatirons in the morning sun and crisp spring air, taking one last look before they move on to the next phase of their lives. It was a morning walk for fantasy, obviously.

I spent the first two days I was here being stunned by the trees. Back east, my entire neighborhood looks as lush as at the height of summer. Everything except my scraggly weeping willow has fully leafed out. But here, they are far behind. The only trees really showing leaves I have found were the willows by the creek at the Ethiopian restaurant where we had dinner last night. I took a ton of photos of bare branches, blaming all the late snows for making me feel like I had lost ground, like I was missing something. This morning, I realized I was indeed missing something: the opportunity to experience a second spring. I love watching plants wake, leaves emerge, colors begin to turn electric green and pink. I started paying attention. It is so beautiful here right now and I almost missed it.

I keep hearing the repeated line in today's song, running on a loop in my head, "I can't change, even if I wanted to," and it makes me wonder. Am I changing now, as I become more observant, or is this who I have always been and I just stopped fighting it? I would lay money on the latter.

2 comments:

  1. I believe it is the Rev. Dr. Matthew Fox who (I paraphrase) says that the longing/hunger, that we often try to fill in unsatisfying ways, can only truly be filled with an awe of Nature. I enjoy that awe even second hand through your observations.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. I've been letting that simmer for a while before I answer. It's so profound and full of truth to me that I don't know how to respond. I am noticing cravings I had before, for bad food, for lazy, mind-numbing behaviors, are greatly diminished the more I pour myself into the Park and the blog. I'm glad to share with you. I'm a giver. :-)

      Delete