Thursday, May 2, 2013

The Wonkitania

Inspirational song: Rollercoaster of Love (v. Red Hot Chili Peppers)

I have found my preferred metaphor for the way my life has been lately. I'm living the boat ride scene from Willy Wonka. I boarded in good faith, and at first the swirling, flashing lights were exhilarating. It took no time at all to be in a shitstorm, surrounded by things that scared, angered, or disgusted me. And then someone yells, "This has gone far enough!" In a flash everything is calm, and we are there, at the Inventing Room. I'm very excited to go in. Almost enough not to mind the nauseating trip it took to get here.

I have already started down two very creative paths, with the daily writing and the gardening on a scale I rarely attempt. I have been thinking about painting a lot lately. I keep wanting to go back and finish a little 5x5 I started a year ago of my favorite cat. (Do NOT tell the others that I admit I have a favorite!) The problem is, I have displayed it for so long, and gotten so accustomed to seeing it as it is, I am afraid doing anything to it would diminish it. I don't know how to break out of the inertia, to make the decision one way of the other. How do you know when something is finished, as good as it can be, or needs improvement and you just don't see it objectively anymore?

1 comment:

  1. Perhaps you might consider re-painting it from the start so you can save the one and go further with the second.

    ReplyDelete