Wednesday, May 15, 2013

Sultry

Inspirational song: Hope for the Future (Marillion)


The local weatherman said last night that we have yet to reach ninety degrees this year. It's unusual, but we have an excellent chance to make up the lack this week. I made it until just now without turning on the air conditioner, and now that the weather decided to act like what we expect of the South, I am so happy I have it available. Several years ago, my man volunteered to take an assignment in the desert in the summer, because it got him away from North Carolina and the humidity.

I've had a very good last 24 hours. Once again, it was proven that I worry for nothing. Not that anyone can convince me of it at the time, when I'm embracing my nervousness. Since yesterday afternoon, I've been released from my doctor (unless I have another episode), my dear friend and mah jongg master pointed me in the right direction for the advisor gift, and I stayed late last night talking at ease with the other board members I had kept at a distance for months. We may never return to the naive enthusiasm of the early days, but we were entirely relaxed and reluctant to break up the group. This morning's brunch was a joy rather than a trial. It is actually overwhelming, the relief. I need some kind of outlet for it, a way to express my gratitude and give back, in some tangible way. I don't know where to apply that energy.

The down side to being busy as the weather has heated up and the rains are long gone, is that my flowers are protesting my lack of attention. Everything with tender leaves is struggling, some things worse than others. At least my roses are thriving. And I have waited so long to live in a climate where jasmine survives a winter. We planted it last year, and this year it is starting to climb a trellis. I can't wait to see it at the end of this growing season.


No comments:

Post a Comment