Saturday, May 4, 2013

Raindrops on Roses

Inspirational song: My Favorite Things (Sound of Music)

It was difficult to get up and stay up this morning. The weather system that brought record May snows to the Plains and Rockies has sucked in a lot of cold rain in the Low Country. After every time I got up to let the dogs out or feed breakfast to the herd, I climbed back in bed where it was still vaguely warm. I am taking a day off of walking, and instead of sitting on the wet cushioned furniture out back, I decided to hang out with the birds in the front yard, where I have a covered porch. Mama and Papa House Finch are not happy with this plan. There are two babies in my Boston fern, and I'm sitting a few feet from where it hangs. I took a few seconds of video of the lecture I just got from Papa. I am fairly certain I understand exactly what he is telling me.

Yesterday I tended roses as a diversion to keep from impulse-buying at a garden center. It was a spectacular success. I did not go spend money. In fact, I spent all day outside, and never left the Park. I made progress on the giant knockout rose in the back that I had neglected to prune early in the season, while I was still too sick to go outside. So much of it is crossed and twisted, and the tallest canes are so heavy they have fallen over with all the rain. I made my first cut arrangement of the year, a funny, droopy thing that I find very compelling. I think, since today is the Kentucky Derby, the "run for the roses," I will put it in front of the tv while I watch (hatless, because I just didn't plan that far ahead.)

Another countdown has begun. Seven days from now I get to watch Dame Julie Andrews deliver the commencement address at my daughter's graduation. I'm not sure which part of that is my favorite, that my baby is completing her degree, or that she and her cohorts are getting lectured by the world's greatest nanny as they leave the nest for the last time. It's a tough call.

1 comment:

  1. Very nice, a house near a good restaurant. And the roses are lovely in chrystal.

    ReplyDelete