Friday, May 17, 2013

Better Living through Technology

Inspirational song: Pressure (Billy Joel)

My routine is off again today. I had to be down on one of the coastal islands to help give out one of our scholarships at a very fancy Catholic high school. I have never explored this particular island before, but as soon as I exited the highway I wondered why someone going here needed our money. I guess you don't end up in digs like this by being foolish with your funds.

There are a couple cities in this country that I just can't seem to get the hang of. No matter how many times I drive through Tulsa, for example, I never feel like I can make heads or tails of it. But nowhere in the world gets me as freaked out as Mt Pleasant, SC. I have yet to drive here without making a wrong turn or two. Today was really bad. I left the island and ended up going the wrong way on the freeway. Rather than turn around (the nearest exit wasn't close), I thought I would take the opportunity to go to Whole Foods. The wrong turns piled one on top of another, while I argued at full volume with my car about where I wanted to go. No joke, I begged for a car with a voice activated nav system just for this one city. I am certain I saw a pedestrian's head whip around while I tried other businesses I knew were close, screaming Navigation! FIND TRADER JOES! I think the car searched for railway stations at that one.

I think I need to go home and hide in my Park. At least the animals seem to understand better than the car. Maybe a bottle of expensive organic wine is in order.

No comments:

Post a Comment