Monday, May 27, 2013

Memorial Day

Inspirational song: Born in the USA (Bruce Springsteen)

I've never been fond of the jingoistic expressions that precede certain holidays, especially if it ends up crossing the line from love of country to disconcerting aggression. I much prefer subtleties. Sure I have a weakness for silly flag-themed kitsch, but I don't have any desire to holler "love it or leave it" to anyone, ever. Several years ago, the man started a tradition of planting a mass of red, white, and blue flowers for Independence Day. It was typically petunias, but it is impossible to find a true blue petunia. In his absence, I am taking a few liberties with the tradition. I decided to start it for Memorial Day, so I have all my American holidays covered. This year, I went with celosia, shasta daisy, and delphinium. While I planted, I kept looking at the daisies, and hearing the last line of a song from Hair, "Three cheers for the red, white, and blue... and yellow fringe!"

We have known a lot of people, over the last dozen years, who have gone into war zones. Some friends and neighbors have been injured. An old friend's husband lost part of his radius, leaving his forearm misshapen and that hand lacking dexterity. A former neighbor lost his leg from the thigh down, but stayed in the army. And something as simple as a fireworks display sets off very bad memories for a friend who used to share an office with my man. But for the most part, everyone we have known who went away, has come home alive. I consider us all astoundingly lucky. Today is the day when we as a country all stop to realize that not all families, not all circles of friends, are so fortunate. I want to remember every day how lucky I am.

No comments:

Post a Comment