Wednesday, September 4, 2013

Ambulance Chasing

Inspirational song: Speed Trap (Out of State Cars) (Hoyt Axton)

How did an afternoon of driving back and forth in heavy traffic wear me out this much? I was transporting a surgery patient today. Specifically, I picked up the handsome young cat who was recently adopted by the Bonfire leader, from his attitude-adjustment surgery (as my mother used to call it). Poor little guy was so groggy when I collected him from the spay and neuter clinic. He was absolutely silent on the drive. I had to get him well before anyone was going to be at his house, and rather than sit in their driveway with the car running for a/c, I brought him to my house, to sit in my tiny laundry room until it was time for his daddy to get home. He started waking up a little more on the second car ride, and he moved around frequently in his little carrier, trying to find a comfortable position to sit on his stickerbutt. By the time he was home, he leapt out of the carrier, and I don't blame him. The sweet boy is a year-old Maine Coon, and he was squeezed into a carrier smaller than the one I carry my kitten in when we go to the shelter every week. 

It seemed everywhere I went today, I saw a ton of cop cars, and lots of flashing lights. While I was transporting the sedated kitty, I had to pull over twice for ambulances running hot. One of them was really flying. I have to hope that he made it to his destination in time, as hard as he was pushing the speed. Even later this evening, I had to maneuver around some blinding blue lights to use my usual cut-through home from the grocery store. Maybe I should think of it in terms of how I beat the odds that none of those flashing lights were ever aimed at me, or flashing on my behalf. 

Most of the time, I don't feel like I am all that close to the ocean. I think of my neighborhood as being pretty far inland. It is. But today, something about the clouds felt more like a storm blowing up over the water than your run-of-the-mill thunderstorm. I have no idea why. I found a place to stop the car and take a picture of how pretty the clouds were. It's still legal to do that while the car is moving down here (for now), but I didn't want to set off any more of those flashing lights, for one reason or another.

No comments:

Post a Comment