Monday, September 9, 2013

Household Chores

Inspirational song: House of Fun (Madness)

I'm tired and sore, finally getting around to icing my shin where I hurt it Thursday, but rather than feeling down, I'm still slightly giddy. I had an excellent day. Two weeks into the intensive exercise program my friend has designed, and today was the first numbers day. I weighed and submitted to the tape, and at all levels, the numbers were better than we expected. It's still just two weeks, so I have a long way to go to get to where I would like to be, but it was nice to see concrete proof of progress. Of course, there are so many other signs of improvement. That I make it through a couple hours of letting my buddy boss me around, pushing me harder each time, and keep coming back for more, is all the evidence I need that I'm getting somewhere. Maybe in a few days I'll work up the nerve to try on a pair of jeans that have been too tight lately, to put a final flourish on my celebrations for the week. I would uncork some champagne, but that would totally undo the eating plan now that I'm really hitting my stride on it. I completely stopped eating sugar and bread while we're doing this, and I'm so close to the place where I don't miss them so much. So close.

When I clean house, I gather up the cat toys, and throw them in the cabin level of the cat tower. I refer to this spot as the House of Fun. As fast as I fill it, somebody is back in there, pulling out her favorite pieces. (It's usually my melancholy baby, insisting that her zip tie, mousie, and weasel belong on the floor, NOT in the house of fun.) I saw every female cat take a turn in there today, which is rare. It must be time to patrol the floors again.

I went one last time to let my mah jongg master's dog out today, since she was due home this evening. Her husband forgot to disarm the alarm system when he left for work, and I had to text for the code. And then I couldn't find their phone in time to talk to the monitoring company, when they called to check out the alarm. So I waited to see which would happen first, my friend getting through to the company, or the police showing up to ask me why I was sitting on the floor of a house where I didn't live, petting cats who weren't mine. What fun. Thankfully, the police were called back, once my friend remembered her safe words. I didn't have to go to the big house.


1 comment: