Thursday, September 12, 2013

How Much Worse Could It Get?

Inspirational song: Catch Me Now I'm Falling (The Kinks)

I know better. I know better!! So why did I whine yesterday about waking up in the middle of the night over a few dishes rattling around the kitchen? I know not to complain. Because I always find out just how much worse it could be. It's like karma's favorite thing to say to me is, "I'll give you something to cry about."

Last night I took a Benadryl right before I climbed the stairs, expecting fewer sneezes and a nice healing sleep to make up for the kitchen incident. At around 3 am, I heard a noise that I thought was my alarm, but it stopped before I could wake up enough to figure out what it was. I reached for the phone and found it was a missed call, so I called back, prepared to make my first sentence, "this had better be an emergency." I didn't have to. My daughter opened with "there is an inch and a half of water on the floor." Oh, great. This garden level condo has flooded before, when spring ice melts came through from the unit above. I was barely awake, but my initial assumption was that it was the same problem, brought about again by rain. Eventually I pulled my brain out of antihistamine hibernation, and started asking pertinent questions, like "are your surge protector strips still plugged in and on the floor?" 

My daughters, their roommates, and all assembled pets were evacuated early this morning. So far everyone is safe. And I'm trying to plan a trip out to assess the damage and meet with the insurance adjusters. I am giving it a few days, since the rain isn't even due to stop until Sunday or Monday. I hope we have seen the worst already, and no more water will come inside.

No comments:

Post a Comment